Schroff Mill

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active
 
in Rickelrath

Situated by one of the Schwalm river's tributaries, the Mühlenbach (mill brook). It may well be that this mill was previously known under another name, Balk Mill, and is in fact over 1000 years old. However, its existence was first recorded in 1397, which is the generally accepted proof of its age. It was referred to as the Balk Mill until the 17th century. The name Schroff does not appear until 1620.

The mill was equipped with two sets of millstones, one edge mill and a wedge press. In the early 19th century, it was capable of running 6 hours a day with one set of millstones thanks to the pond in front. The decision to run the mill without water power was made as early as in 1934; a 10 HP diesel engine and a 3 HP electric motor were installed. Despite these measures, the mill was decommissioned soon after the end of the Second World War.

The water wheel turned for the last time in 1951, and the mill rapidly fell into disrepair. In the 1970s, first attempts were made to get it running again, and to restore the neighbouring buildings.

Following a long, extensive labour of love, the mill now has one functioning milling, or rather oil, mill again and also houses a mill museum.

Opening times: By appointment

Adress: Schrofmühle 2, 41844 Wegberg-Rickelrath
Phone: +49 (0)2431-2642

Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest

0
terms and condition.

Comments