Bush Mill

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 
in Busch
 

The Bush Mill was first mentioned in 1558. It was situated in the duchy of Jülich and belonged to the village of Beeck.

Dederich uff dem Busch
1558

In 1647, the Bush Mill belonged to one Peter Busch, who lived in Dahlen. However, he was also a tenant of Dahlen abbey. In 1822, the mill was used for milling purposes only.

The mill had an undershot water wheel and two sets of millstones, although these could only be used one at a time. At the end of the 19th century, the business was expanded to include an oil mill as well. It was equipped with an edge mill and an oil press for oil production. Despite its conversion to electric power, very little oil was produced after the Second World War, as the occupying US forces banned the production of cooking oil.

Yet another reason for decommissioning the mill fully in 1953. Wilhelm Symes was the last miller. Stefan Dressen and his wife Elke bought the Bush Mill in 2006. After a lot of hard work and effort, it is now once again a fully-functioning mill.

Opening times: The mill can be visited from outside. Visits by appointment only.

Adress: Hospitalstraße 7, 41844 Wegberg-Busch

Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest

0
terms and condition.

Comments