Holt Mill

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active
 
in Busch

Like the New Mill, the Holt Mill is also first mentioned by this name in tax documents dating from 1397.

Like the Bush Mill, it was part of the Wickrath fief and was situated by the Alsbach or Gripekovener brook, which we know today as the Mühlenbach, the mill brook. It was an oil and grain mill equipped with two sets of millstones and an oil press. The large pond allowed the mill to run 10 hours a day. It has been owned by the Symes family since the beginning of the 19th century. The island in the mill pond, the Schwaneninsel, was constructed in 1820; the dam along the pond in 1840. For a good 30 years, a toll of 4 pfennigs had to be paid to the miller. Like in Tüschenbroich, a hospitality business was established quite some time ago. Coffee, wine and cakes were offered to tourists as early as 1870. Rowing boat trips were free. Up to 500 tons of grain were processed here in the early 20th century. After the First World War, the miller focused increasingly on farming.

The mill was equipped with a water wheel made of iron in 1919. In 1952, the old idea of a summertime hospitality business and rowing boat trips was revived. Josef Symes stopped all commercial milling operations. The last set of millstones was finally decommissioned in 1967. Today, the mill is once again a popular destination for outings.

Opening times: Wednesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00 clock.

Adress: Holtmühlerweg 2, 41844 Wegberg-Busch, Phone: +49 (0)2434-809006

Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest

0
terms and condition.

Comments